Decision Making Tools course
The University of Sydney, School of Public Health
Three 2-day short courses under the banner of Making Decisions in Clinical Practice are offered by The University of Sydney, School of Public Health. (Note: These short courses are independent of each other so attendees can choose which subject area is more relevant)
• The first short course is Using Evidence in Decision-making which provides attendees with an overview of current approaches to making decisions in clinical practice in terms of evidence-based medicine. Attendees will explore clinical guideline development and learn how to conduct a rapid review for a specific clinical question involving an appraisal of literature using the GRADE Approach and develop a summary of findings table.
• The second short course is Decision Making Tools which provides attendees with an overview of current approaches to making decisions in clinical practice in terms of decision making tools (clinical/health professional focussed). Attendees will explore shared decision making (SDM) and its related policies and myths and barriers to SDM implementation. Attendees will also explore the International Patient Decision Aids Standards and develop a decision tool relevant for clinical practice (or similar).
• The final short course is Health Literacy which provides attendees with an overview of current approaches to making decisions in clinical practice in terms of health literacy (consumer focussed). Attendees will explore the concept of health literacy, how to make information more accessible and how to prepare patients to participate in healthcare decision making with specific approaches to patient who are culturally and linguistically diverse. Approaches on how to evaluate patient resources will also be explored as well as risk communication principles with a particular focus in patient centred communication.
These short courses are particularly well suited to health professionals and other people working in clinical organisations/environments, but is open to anyone.
1. Using Evidence in Decision-making 5-6th November 2018
2. Decision Making Tools 12-13th November 2018
3. Health Literacy 29-30th November 2018
REGISTER YOUR INTEREST HERE https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeyPShxrEgMG6LyF_asTtOc-RYKBD2EojyQGtbRm4IkpeAU7A/viewform
Course costs and cancellation policy
Each short costs $1100 (inclusive of GST)
Full course fees for each short course are to be paid 1 week prior to the date of the course. Cancellation after the full course fee is due will incur a fee of $100 per participant for administration. Cancellation on the day of or after commencement of the course will not be refunded.
All cancellations must be in writing and addressed to the Program Administrator.
Cancellation policy applies unless exceptional circumstances apply (for example, circumstances that would meet the criteria for special consideration at the University of Sydney).