Statistics Course - Lesson 3
Location:Westmead Education and Conference Centre Auditorium, Westmead Hospital
This course is run by he University of Sydney Postgraduate Unit at Westmead.
WSLHD reseearchers & staff are welcome to attend also.
This series of 5 seminars consists of a basic medical statistics course together with discussions of practical problems and a demonstration of the SPSS software package. It is aimed at those working in the medical or para-medical fields. While the focus is for Postgraduate students all WSLHD researchers are welcome to attend. Mathematical details are kept to a minimum, the emphasis being on concepts and interpretation. (Mathematical notes and examples are available on request for those interested)
Below is an outline of the topics to be covered in each seminar. About 45 minutes of each seminar will be devoted to „course‟ content, and the remainder to „practical‟ considerations.
If you wish to attend, please register by 10 March 2017 to [email protected]
1. Frequency distributions, boxplots, mean, median, standard deviation, standard error of mean. Practical: How to look at and present data (SPSS session)
2. Tests of hypotheses a and b levels, power. Practical: Designing an experiment
3. Normal distribution, z & t tests, confidence intervals, tests of paired alternatives, tests of Normali-ty, nonparametric equivalents. Practical: SPSS examples
4. Contingency tables, c2 tests, “exact” tests, McNemar‟s test Kappa, odds ratios, sensitivity/specificity. Practical: SPSS examples
5. Linear regression analysis and examination of residuals. Practical: SPSS examples
Wednesday 15 March 2017 9.00 – 10.30am Lecture Theatre 1
Wednesday 22 March 2017 9.00 – 10.30am Lecture Theatre 3
Wednesday 29 March 2017 9.00 – 10.30am Auditorium
Wednesday 5 April 2017 9.00 – 10.30am Lecture Theatre 3
Wednesday 12 April 2017 9.00 – 10.30am Lecture Theatre 1